Weekends call for special breakfast. Since we had come back from our vacation,we were missing the breakfast buffet especially the pancakes of our hotel.
Pancakes are generally made with eggs , refined flour andrefined sugar. I usually make banana oats pancakes at home. However,this weekend when I was carving for pancakes i didnt have bananas at home
Instead I had big pumpkin from my kitchen garden so I tried using that in my pancakes. As pumpkin works very well in the cakes I was almost sure it will work well in pancakes too. And guess what !
The pancakes turned out really soft and yummy .
I used pumpkin puree both for flavour and as a substitute for egg . I made puree by slicing a portion of pumpkin from the whole. Then I removed the skin and seeds from it. I cut it into small pieces and cooked it in water till tender. Later I strained it and made puree of the tender pumpkin pieces with the help of mixer.
As my daughter has sweet tooth so I used honey and brown sugar both in the recipe. But if you like it to be mildly sweet then you can skip brown sugar and reduce the amount of honey a bit.
Pumpkin Choco Chips Pancakes
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tsp whole wheat flour or aata
- 1/4 cup water chestnut flour or singhada ke aata see notes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- a pinch baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup and 2 tbsp (1/8 cup) pumpkin puree see notes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 cup or 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp melted clarified butter or ghee
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butterscotch crush or any other falvouring of choice
- 1 tbsp choco chips
- In abowl, take whole wheat flour, water chestnut flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mix well.
- Now add pumpkin puree ,yogurt ,ghee, brown sugar,vanilla extract, butterscotch crush to it.
- Now add milk to the other ingredients in batches and mix well. The batter will be thick.
- Take a non stick griddle and heat till medium hot. Brush ghee or oil on it. Take a laddle full of batter and pour on the medium hot griddle or tawa.
- Sprinke 4-5 choco chips on top. Let this cook on a medium flame till bubbles appear on top.
- Flip the pancake once bubble appear and cook for a few minutes till these turn golden brown on both sides.
- Make all pancakes in the same way.
- Stack pancakes on a serving tray or plate and sprinkle some more choco chips. Serve with honey or maple syrup.
1.I made pumpkin puree from fresh pumpkin. Forthe puree take pumkin , remove skin and seeds. Cut into pieces and pressure cook in water till tender. Strain water and puree the tender pieces of pumpkin.2. Feel free to replace water chestnut flour with whole wheat flour in case it is not available