So my princess was not keeping well and was not ready to take anything inside her mouth. I tried offering many things but she would not eat.
But when she saw packet of her favorite chocos, she demanded to have it. Generally i dont let her eat the packaged food items but i do keep a few small packets of chocos in my pantry for travelling purposes. This time i had to relent to her demand but was feeling guilty about it.
She told me muma why you say it is unhealthy when they are showing picture of chapati/roti on the packet. It means it is as good as chapati. I made her understand that we need to read labels and not get carried away by the pictures. I read the ingredients for her which clearly stated that it contained artificial colour, refined flour and preservatives.
After this episode i was inspired to make real healthy chocos that is the ones without refined flour, refined sugar , colours and of course preservatives.
So the recipe got developed. The home made chocos are made with the goodness of Ragi, Amarnath flour, whole wheat and are easy to make. Only part that required little effort is shaping them.
The texture of ragi amarnath whole wheat chocos is slightly different from the ones available in the market as they dont contain any refined flour and leaving agent to it. However these are good substitute to the packaged cereals available outside.
The step by step recipe is given below.
Homemade Chocos with ragi, amarnath and natural sweetners
- 1/4 cup Ragi flour
- 1/8 cup or 2 tbsp Amarnath flour
- 1/4 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 5 tbsp jaggery powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil edible
- 3 tbsp milk
- In a mixer, add Ragi, Amarnath and whole wheat flour. Also put in salt, jaggery powder , cocoa powder and pulse for a few seconds.
- Now add coconut oil and pulse once.
- Take out in a bowl and add milk and honey to it. Form a dough.
- Make very small oval balls of the dough.
- Using thumb press the balls to give oval shape to the flakes. Use this technique with rest of the balls as well.
- prick the oval shape chocos with the help of toothpick.
- now take a silver foil paper and roll it . See the pictures for reference. lightly grease oil on it.
- Gently p the oval shape chocos around the rolled silver foil and bake at 190 degree for 15 minutes.
- Let it sit for a while and then remove from the foil paper. Store in air tight container or serve with milk.