I was looking for an easy indian mithai for the rakshabandhan celebration at home. After scratching head for some time i got an idea of mixing kids’ favorite Nutella with something that can be made easily that is Rasgulla or Rasogulla .
Rasgulla does not require too much of labour. Also it doesn’t require fancy ingredients. Cow’s Milk, sugar and water and you are done.
However due to some reasons. i could not make this mithai on the day.
Come Janamashtmi (Lord Krishna’s birthday),and again i was drawn to the idea of making this sweet meat as a Prasad. I started my experiment and it came out to be a total failure.
What i did was , i added Nutella in Milk and tried making Chhena from it using lemon juice. But the Nutella Milk did not curdle. Even after adding loads of lemon juice, it just did not curdle. I was highly disappointed as the milk was total waste. I swore not to try this again.
I had also prepared Chasni that is sugar syrup on the day. As i could not use it ,I simply kept it in refrigerator.
Yesterday when my help asked me what to do with the sugar syrup that is lying in the fridge, i was tempted to try the Nutella Rasgulla again. I had already learnt that Nutella is too stabilized to curdle. So i tried different method this time.
And this time i was successful in creating the dish. It has rich taste of Nutella without being overly sweet. And has a very spongy texture.
I am listing here the important steps that i took for making this. For full recipe, scroll down.
I took 1/3 cup of chhena along with 2 tbsp full of nutella.
Using fingers, i mashed and mixed chhena with the nutella fully. It should be mixed well.
Now add 1.5 to 2 spoon of cornflour to the Nutella Chhena. Again knead it for 4 minutes.
Mash it well.
Now make small balls of the Chhena Dough. Please ignore the tiny ball in the plate ;))))
I have added 1 tsp Nutella in the sugar syrup as well . You can add cocoa powder as well and mix well. Bring sugar syrup to a boil. Drop balls in the syrup one by one.(very important not to drop all the balls at once).
Let this cook covered on a high flame for 15 minutes. In between keep stirring after every 2 to 3 minutes.
In a deep bowl, take 7 ice cubes and add the Nutella sugar syrup to it . Now carefully lift rasgullas one by one from the vessel and drop in the dish with ice cubes. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
Chill in refrigerator.
Pour chocolate sauce and finely chopped nuts on rasgullas and serve chilled.
- 1.5 litre Cow's Milk
- 1 lemon( juice)
- 3 tbsp Nutella
- 2 spoon Cornflour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cup water
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder(optional)
- 3 tbsp chocolate sauce( for garnish)
- 1 tsp chopped nuts of your choice (for garnish)
- Take milk in a vessel and bring it to boil. Switch off flame once it is boiled. Keep aside for 4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice gradually to the milk. Once it curdles , strain it using a muslin cloth and strainer.
- Wash strained Chhena with cold water two to three times to remove extra sourness of lemon juice.
- Remove extra water from Chhena by twisting the muslin cloth or let it stand for a while so it dries up a bit.
- Chhena should be soft but with very less moisture or no moisture. Now take it out on a plate. Mash it well.
- Add 2 tbsp Nutella to this chenna and again mash or knead using hands. Do it well. It will take 2 to 3 minutes.( refer pic above)
- Now add Cornflour to the Nutella chhena and knead again till it is smooth for 2 minutes. (refer to the image above)
- Form small balls of Nutella chhena and keep aside. (see image in the post)
- In a vessel add water and sugar and bring it to boil. Add cardamom powder and nutella and mix well. (Refer notes below).
- On a high flame, start dropping Nutella chhena balls one by one. Do not drop all the balls in one go.
- Cover and let it boil for 15 minutes. Stir after every 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, add 7 ice cubes. Pour 3 laddle full of the nutella sugar syrup to the ice cubes in the bowl.
- now add Nutalla rasgulla to the bowl. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate and chill.
- once chilled, serve with chocolate sauce and chopped nuts.
I have boiled sugar in water till it is dissolved well and then cooled it and blended with nutella using mixer. Again put on flame to boil