This particular cookie is the product of inspiration from two sources.
One is an Italian shortbread which inspired the shape of these cookies. I just saw the image on internet and was bowled over by the beauty of the cookies. However, it was with eggs and refined flour plus other leaving agents and used icing sugar.
I had to develop healthy alternatives to these ingredients and was in no mood to use baking powder in this recipe.
Also, a friend of mine wanted to learn healthy cookies like ragi cookies recipe for her two year old son and it occured to me that i has been ages since i used ragi in my cookies.
So i kind of combined both these inspirations. since the cookies required patience and lot of experimentation,i had to wait for the weekend to arrive.
The weekend arrived and i baked the gorgeous cookies on friday evening itself.
The taste is yumm and reminds me of brownie although these cannot be called as brookies as the texture is different from Brookies.
The chocolate ragi combination worked very well and gives texture n taste that replicates butter cookies.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nachini or Ragi flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 85 grams butter i have used salted amul butter
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup condensed milk homemade
- 20 grams chocolate melted
- chopped nuts like almonds or cashews
- In a bowl, beat butter with sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add condensed milk or milk to it and beat again
- In another bowl, add whole wheat flour and ragi , cocoa powder. mix well
- Add this wheat ragi flour mix into creamed butter mixture gradually in small batches.
- Beat or mix well after every addition.
- Fill the batter in a piping bag fitted with star nozzle
- Pipe the cookie pattern on a parchment paper or baking sheet set on a bking tray . Refer to the image attached.
- Refrigerate the baking tray for one hour. This is important so that cookie could hold its shape while baking.
- Bake at 170 degree in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let it cool in the baking tray . These will be very fragile.
- Once cool, lift carefully with the help of spatuala and keep on the wire rack .
- Melt chocolate in microwave and with the help of spoon coat small portion on one side of the cookie and sprinkle chopped nuts. This step is optional. You can easily skip this. It only adds to the beauty and richness of the cookie
- Let the chocolate set and enjoy.