My princess was craving pizza and was after me to bake it for her.
I generally bake multigrain yeasty pizza but today i didnt have much time in hand. Also i wanted to add some vegetables to make it healthy and wholesome for her.
This Pizza has many plus plus:—
It is made with whole wheat , jowar so it is fibre rich
It has goodness of (homegrown) lauki or bottlegourd
It is quick , no yeast. Requires no proofing
It is thin crust pizza
Can be made vegan too
The texture and taste amazed me as well. The lauki is first boiled and then blended into a paste before it is added to the dough. There is no taste of lauki in the base. It only makes it more nutritious!
Start by adding dry ingredients into a bowl.
Make a well, add oil, lauki/ bottlegourd to it
Mix using fork. Gradually add milk or water to it.
Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes and form into a ball.
The dough should not be too tight or soft.
Cover and keep aside for 10 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven at 200 degrees.
Divide dough into two equal portions. Take one portion and roll into a ball. Using hands or with the help of rolling pin, roll it into round pizza base.
Use fork to prick the pizza base. Place the base into a baking tray or round tin and bake for ten minutes.
Once the base is slightly golden, take it out of oven.
Spread pizza sauce on the pizza base. I use homemade pizza base.
Now add grated cheese to it. I also added grated cottage cheese to it.
Lastly add vegetables of your choice. I have added capsicum, spinach,onions , tomatoes and olives.
Sprinkle seasoning and brush olive oil on the edges.
Bake for 5 to 10 minutes till cheese is melted fully.
Cut into pieces and enjoy.
Whole wheat jowar lauki pizza base
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup jowar flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup lauki or bottlegourd paste(see notes)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp mixed herbs or garlic powder
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients that is whole wheat flour, jowar flour, salt, herbs, baking powder,sugar.Mix well.
- Make a well, pour oil and lauki or bottlegourd to it. Using fork, mix this with the flour.
- Now gradually add milk and start kneading. Knead for two to three minutes.
- Form dough. It should not be dry but a soft dough.
- Cover and let it rest for ten minutes
- Preheat oven at 200 Degrees for ten miuntes
- Divide dough into two equal balls
- Take a ball, sprinkle dry flour on a surface and roll it into thin chapati using rolling pin. You can also do with your hands.
- Transfer it into greased baking tin or round mould. Prick the base using fork
- Bake the pizza base for ten minutes.
- Take out of the oven and apply butter on it
- Apply pizza sauce on it
- Now add grated cheese, grated cottage cheese to it
- Place chopped vegetables to it. Add seasoning to it
- Lastly, brush olive oil on the sides of the base
- Bake for ten minutes till cheese is fully melted
- Slice and enjoy
You can replace milk with water to make it vegan.
I have boiled bottlegaurd then made paste using blender. This is then added to the dough.